Greenwich Migrant Hub aims to offer a welcoming and safe environment for vulnerable migrants who are facing destitution or homelessness. The service will focus especially on migrants with no recourse to public funds who require advice and support.
GMH’s volunteers will play an integral role to the running of the weekly Tuesday drop-in Session. You will work alongside solicitors and advisers and gain specialist knowledge of rights and advocacy through your role and from regular training workshops.
The drop-in sessions will run 9:30-14:30 every Tuesday at the Woolwich Common Community Centre in Woolwich. The Hub is a Greenwich Housing Rights project. All volunteers are provided with a free lunch during the sessions and reasonable travel expenses reimbursed.
If you are interested in volunteering with us, please review the role description below and complete the attached referral form and email Hub Coordinator, Helen Mead on firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Need to be available on Tuesdays 9.30-14.30
– Minimum commitment of 6 months
– You will need to be available for a full-day induction session – date TBC
1. Advocacy volunteer (role description)
This role requires practical experience of working in a front-line/grassroots capacity as well as confidence in advocacy/communication and administrative skills.
– Empathy and understanding of the complex issues faced by migrants
– Willingness to listen to the concerns of visitors to the centre
– Patient, calm manner when dealing with vulnerable visitors
– Casework or administration experience desirable
– Helping run the registration desk
– Registration and assessment of visitors needs
– Providing advocacy and support to visitors, including: telephone calls, letter writing, form filling, signposting
– Supporting the work of professional advisors
– Help to set up the session and clearing away
– Various administration tasks to help the running of the session e.g. updating information packs
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com