Contact Us

Finding Legal Help


The Centre is not able to provide legal advice, however this page may be able to point you in the direction of those who can. 



Check your legal aid eligibility

If you need legal assistance and cannot afford a private lawyer, you should first find out if you are eligible for Legal Aid.


Find your nearest advice centre

You may wish to approach your local Law Centre (click here find your nearest service) or contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau.


You can find your nearest advice agency on the Advicelocal website.


Find pro bono legal assistance

If these services do not meet your needs, you may be able to get assistance from a pro bono solicitor at legal law clinic or a pro bono barrister through Advocate.

Find resources online

If you would like to find legal advice and resources online you can visit the Citizens Advice website or AdviceNow


Represent yourself

You may choose to represent yourself in court. 

If you do,  AdviceNow have guides available on going to court or tribunal without a lawyer.


Support Through Court is a charity that helps people to represent themselves more effectively in civil and family cases and tribunals. You can find your nearest centre here.


In civil cases, litigants in person can claim £19 per hour for time they spend working on their case (or their actual financial loss if this can be proved). 


So, what is pro bono legal advice?

“Pro bono” legal services may be provided free of charge when clients have no other access to legal advice or where their case raises a wider issue of public interest.

Many kinds of legal services can be provided pro bono but your request will have to meet certain criteria before a lawyer will agree to act on your behalf. It may be difficult to obtain pro bono services in areas such as criminal and family law. 

It will also depend on where you are located, as pro bono services depend upon the good will and availability of your local lawyers.


The Centre does not refer individuals to lawyers for help with a legal problem, however the charities which are housed within the Centre might be able to help you. Find out more about our charities and how to contact them here.